The International Association of Science Parks (IASP) is the worldwide network of Science and Technology Parks. IASP connects Science Park professionals from across the globe and provides services that drive growth and effectiveness for its members. IASP members enhance the competitiveness of companies and entrepreneurs of their cities and regions, and contribute to global economic development through innovation, entrepreneurship, and the transfer of knowledge and technology. NBIC connects with science parks and incubators globally through IASP. Dr. Tjama Tjivikua, Rector of the Polytechnic of Namibia currently is currently the President of the IASP African Division.
The Namibia Business Innovation Centre (NBIC) has been established at the Polytechnic of Namibia with a vision to create an independent catalyst for innovation and development in Namibia and to support Namibia’s transformation into a knowledge-based and globally competitive society. NBIC’s mission is to
- Inform the public, industry, government, students and researchers about innovation and entrepreneurship and foster partnerships between them,
- Motivate students, researchers and the public to become entrepreneurs,
- Educate and train entrepreneurs in all aspects relevant to establishing and successfully managing a company,
- Actively support companies in their start-up and growth phases through mentoring, funding support and incubation services.
- Foster technology transfer between research institutions and industry.
The Polytechnic of Namibia contributes to Namibia’s development by providing tertiary technological career-oriented education at internationally recognized standards. The main objective of its curricula is thus the practice, promotion and transfer of technology. With emphasis on the transfer of technology, the Polytechnic gives due regard to the professional human resource requirements of the country and those of the region and beyond. The Polytechnic of Namibia is the initiator of NBIC driven by the recognition that Namibia needs a national institution to foster innovation and job creation in existing companies as well as through innovative entrepreneurs and SMEs. NBIC is one of the centres of the Polytechnic and the Polytechnic is the key sponsor of its core operations.